Don't Forget to Use Protection
SPF. You see it, you hear about it, but what does it even mean? If you’re like me and don’t know the answer to that question, here it is: Sun Protection Factor. It’s a way to measure how long a sunscreen will protect you from UltraViolet Rays. It’s SO. IMPORTANT. One of the things that I try to never skip out on when it comes to my skin is sunscreen, or at the very least, a product that contains SPF in the formula. Our skin is our largest organ as a human being, so we need to make sure that we’re protecting it as much as we possibly can.
Here are a few things to look for in a sunscreen:
- Broad Spectrum: this means the sunscreen is formulated to protect your skin from both UVA rays and UVB rays.
- SPF 30 or higher: it’s recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology that you choose a sunscreen that contains an SPF rating of 30 or higher.
- Water Resistant: odds are, you’re gonna be sweating, or maybe swimming, so you always want to make sure your sunscreen can withstand that.
Now let's talk specifics. You might be asking "what about if I'm wearing makeup?" or "how often should I reapply?". Let me give you a hand with that:
- You should be re-applying every 40-80 minutes, depending on your sunscreen. Check the bottle! It usually gives a recommended time for reapplication.
- When it comes to makeup, sunscreen is actually a lot easier to incorporate than you might think. Try and find a moisturizer that includes SPF so you can wear it under your makeup. Nowadays there's a ton of makeup products that include SPF in them (foundation, bronzer, setting spray, etc.).
Here are a few foundations with SPF that I love:
- IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream with SPF 50+
SPF is such a crucial part of any skincare or makeup routine. I BEG YOU, don't forget it! You'll thank me later.
Stay safe in the sun,
A few others from the team:
Andie ~ Neutrogena
AJ ~ Black Girl Sunscreen
Lo ~ Origins